It’s hard to believe that it’s been two months already.
I debated doing a post like this after the first month of book blogging, but I’m glad I put it off. The first month was interesting, but the second had far more different issues come up. I think I will have a lot more to say at this point than a month ago.
I started book blogging because I had five days off work, and I didn’t know what I was going to do with myself. I’d been looking at a lot of book blogs and watching a lot of booktube videos, and it seemed like something fun to play with.
I never expected it to go anywhere. It was just something fun to do. I’d attempted a few blogs before, on a variety of different topics, but never got far with them. I tended to give up after a few weeks, because it just didn’t interest me. But I was looking for something to do, and so I set it up, tossed up a few reviews I’d previously written for Goodreads.
It didn’t really take off at the start. A few people commented and liked, and I got a couple of follows. It was nice. I had fun checking out some other blogs, and enjoyed interacting with some other bloggers. The days off ended, and I figured I’d stick it out a few more days, and then it would be forgotten.
That didn’t happen. Two months later, I still pop by here every day. I don’t always have time to really get into it, but I try to make time when I can. I’m still making posts, commenting and visiting, and enjoying my time in the book blogging world.
There are lots of great things I have discovered throughout these past two months, as well as some downsides.
On the Plus Side:
I am reading more than I ever have. I read nine books last month, which is considerably more than I’ve done in any past month. I love reading, so pushing myself to do more is fantastic, because I’m finding more and more books to add to my list of favourites.
On that same note, there are so many books I would never have heard of, if not for the blogging and booktube world. When you rely on bestseller lists and what’s popular, you miss a lot of great stories. I’ve found so much more by looking around out here.
The book community is really wonderful. I don’t have the time with everything else in my life to be as engaged with it as I would really like to be, but the people I do get to interact with are fantastic, and I’m inspired by their words and their own blogs to do better with my own.
Reading books is wonderful. Having people to discuss them with is even better.
There are many other perks, like book draws, and ARCs (not quite at this point yet, but I assume it will be when I get there), and what have you, but the ones listed above are the reasons that I keep come back.
On the Downside:
It’s a huge time commitment. My job already keeps me incredibly busy, so I try to pick and choose my other commitments. It’s worth it, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes when I’ve worked a twelve hour day, and I still have a schedule of posts to keep up with, I wonder what I’ve gotten myself into.
As someone who thrives on competing with something else, sometimes it feels like I don’t keep up. I don’t always read the newest books as soon as they’re released, and I tend to follow my interest rather than what’s popular. 99% of the time, I don’t care, because I’m enjoying myself. The other 1%, it frustrates me.
Sometimes, I just don’t want to do it. This is a hobby for me – it has to be – so if I don’t want to, I generally just won’t do it. But it feels like a commitment I’ve made, and that I should honour that commitment, even when I’m preoccupied or interested in other hobbies or life stuff.
All in all, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I’m generally having fun, and I’m not ready to give up just yet. It’s been an interesting adventure so far, especially since no one in my real life knows that this blog exists. I may tell them someday, or I may keep my little world to myself.